The next EuropeanaTech conference will take place on the 12th and 13th February in Paris. Find out more about the programme and the registration at www.europeanatech2015.eu!
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Department of Computer Science
De Boelelaan 1081a
1081 HV Amsterdam
email: aisaac [AT] few.vu.nl
Welcome to my researcher's page. Since December 2009, I work as scientific coordinator at Europeana
, a unified access platform to digitized European Cultural Heritage, while keeping a research activity at the VU in Guus Schreiber's Web and Media
group. I have been recently working for the EuropeanaConnect
project, and co-chairing the Library Linked Data
group at W3C. I also serve as W3C SKOS
community contact, on behalf of the now closed Semantic Web Deployment
Background and research
I have worked in for the STITCH
and projects. I did during my PhD studies at the French National Institute for Audiovisual
and Université Paris Sorbonne
. Some research keywords will especially attract me:
Participations in working groups and networks
- Application of Semantic Web/Linked Data technology in the Cultural Heritage domain:
- representation of metadata and controlled vocabularies, especially using SKOS
- use of ontological mappings to access heterogeneous collections...
- Semantic Web Languages and Technologies: Description Logic-based
languages, ontology mapping algorithms. I have co-organized the library thesaurus mapping task in the OAEI evaluation campaign.
- Ontology Foundations: Ontological Design Patterns, Formal and
For a concrete demonstration of the benefits of using semantic web techniques in the field of Cultural Heritage, please see the following demos I was involved in! (be careful, some links are really old...)
- Europeana Thought Lab, performing semantic search on the collections of three CH institutions.
- RAMEAU as linked data, serving the concepts of the BnF RAMEAU vocabulary as SKOS linked data aligned to the Library of Congress Subject Headings.
- CATCH repository, a repository web service to access knowledge organization systems represented in SKOS, together with semantic alignments between their concepts.
- STITCH integrated facetted browser, applying semantic alignments to browse two collections of illuminated medieval manuscripts.
For a list of my publications, please see this publication page
- Europeana and the relevance of the DM2E results. DM2E Final Event conference, Pisa, Dec 11, 2014. Slides
- Europeana DSI. LT-Accelerate conference, Brussels, Dec 4-5, 2014. Slides
- Linked Open Data best practices for publishing, sharing, and interlinking structured data on the Web. EIFL general assembly, Istanbul, Nov 11-13, 2014. Slides
- Challenges to the Language Technology industry. LT-Innovate Summit, Brussels, June 24-25, 2014. Slides.
- A portrait of Europeana as a Linked Open Data case (in progress). ISKO-UK Meeting - Making Metadata Work, London, June 23, 2014. Slides.
- Semantic Web, Linked Data: the Europeana case(s). Vogin-ip-lezing, Amsterdam, March 20, 2014. Slides.
- Multilingual challenges in Europeana. H2020/CEF Infoday, Luxembourg, Jan. 16, 2014. Slides
- Europeana, more than data aggregation?. UvA Digital Heritage mini-symposium, Amsterdam, Dec 12, 2013. Slides.
- Contributor to Semantic Web Technology in Europeana. Semantic Web in Libraries, Hamburg, Germany, Nov. 25-27, 2013. Slides.
- Data modelling at Europeana and DM2E. Semantic Media Web innovation day, Berlin, Sept. 27, 2013. Slides
- Europeana and RDF data validation. Short presentation at the W3C RDF Validation Workshop, Cambridge, MA, USA, Sept. 10-11, 2013. Slides
- Europeana and Schema.org. Dublin Core conference, special session on Schema.org, Lisbon, Sept. 5, 2013. Slides
- Validation of Europeana data: application profile, OWL ontology, or else?. Dublin Core conference, special session on Application Profiles as an alternative to OWL Ontologies, Lisbon, Sept. 4, 2013. Slides
- A Europeana Vision. Web as Literature seminar, London, June 10, 2013. Slides.
- EDM and Europeana. American Art Collaborative LOD Meeting, Washington DC, April 29, 2013. Slides EDM Slides Europeana.
- Culture Hack. Panel at SXSW 2013, Austin, Texas, March 7-12, 2013. Slides
- Europeana. NISO Bibliographic Roadmap meeting, Baltimore, April 15-16, 2013. Slides
- Référentiels et interopérabilité. Inria Seminar on digital documents and the web of data, Carnac, Oct 1-5. Slides 1 Slides 2 Proceedings
- Use of semantic technologies for publishing and re-using cultural and scientific heritage data and panel session "Is it the right time to invest in semantic technologies?". Semantic Interoperability Conference (SEMIC 2012), European Commission, Brussels, June 18, 2012. Slides
- Valentine Charles, Antoine Isaac. Europeana and (many) linked open vocabularies. LOV Symposium: Linking and Opening Vocabularies, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain, June 18, 2012. Slides
- Europeana and linked open data. CIRSS Seminar Series, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. USA, Mar. 9, 2012.
- Bernhard Haslhofer, Antoine Isaac. data.europeana.eu - Europeana LOD Pilot. EuropeanaTech Conference. Vienna, Austria, Oct. 4-5, 2011.
- Antoine Isaac, Jacco van Ossenbruggen, Viktor de Boer, Jan Wielemaker, Guus Schreiber. Europeana and semantic alignment of vocabularies. NKOS 2011 workshop, TPDL conference. Berlin, Germany, Sept. 28-29, 2010.
- SKOS Tutorial. International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications, (DC 2011). The Hague, The Netherlands, 21-23 September 2011. Slides
- W3C Library Linked Data Incubator Group - A Summary. Talis Linked Data in Libraries open day, London, UK, July 14, 2011. Slides
- On libraries and linked data. Study day on Semantic Web and Linked Data at the Utrecht University Library. The Netherlands, Apr. 7, 2011. Slides
- W3C Library Linked Data Incubator Group. Semantic Web in Bibliotheken (SWIB10). Köln, Germany, Nov. 29-30, 2010. Slides
- SKOS and Linked Data. ISKO-UK Linked Data: The Future of Knowledge Organization on the Web conference. London, Sept. 14, 2010. Slides
- Progress in semantic mapping. NKOS 2010 workshop, ECDL conference. Glasgow, Scotland, Sept. 9-10, 2010. Slides
- Semantic Web and Linked Data for cultural heritage materials - Approaches in Europeana. DANS Workshop on Linked Data, The Hague, the Netherlands, July 28, 2010. Slides
- W3C Library Linked Data Incubator Group. Talis Linked Data in Libraries open day, London, UK, July 20, 2010. Slides
- A Semantic Web View on Concepts and their Alignments - From Specific Library Cases to a Wider Linked Data Perspective. Concepts in Context, Köln, Germany, July 19-20, 2010. Slides
- Europeana and linked cultural heritage data. ICTdelta, Rotterdam, the Netherlands, March 18, 2010. Slides
- Semantic Search for Europeana. Society of the Query conference. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Nov. 13-14, 2009.
- Antoine Isaac, Aida Slavic. Using SKOS in practice, with examples from the classification domain. UDC Seminar. The Hague, The Netherlands, Oct. 29-30, 2009. Slides
- Linking Data for Europeana. Dublin Core conference. Seoul, Korea, 13 October 2009. Slides
- Update on SKOS and Use Cases. 5th Ecoterm Meeting. Rome, Italy, 05 October 2009.
- Aida Slavic, Antoine Isaac. Identifying management issues in networked KOS: examples from classification schemes. NKOS 2009 workshop, ECDL conference. Corfu, Greece, Oct. 1, 2009. Slides
- RDFa and SKOS. SIKS-ICS (Dutch Research School for Information and Knowledge systems) Course on the Semantic Web. Utrecht, the Netherlands, Sept. 25, 2009. Slides
- The SKOS model. Master class on data modelling, Europeana pleanary conference. Den Haag, the Netherlands, Sept.14, 2009.
- Accessing Cultural Heritage using Semantic Web Techniques. Lecture for the Book and Digital Media Master (Leiden University). The Hague, the Netherlands, March 20, 2009. Slides
- SKOS and vocabularies. Practical Semantic Astronomy workshop (SemAst). Glasgow, Scotland, March 5, 2009. Slides
- Workshop "Semantic Web - Do It Yourself". Digital Erfgoed (Cultural Heritage) conference. Rotterdam, the Netherlands, December 10, 2008. Slides
- On practical aspects of enhancing semantic interoperability using SKOS and KOS alignment. ISKO UK event on Sharing vocabularies on the web via Simple Knowledge Organization Sytems. London, July 20, 2008. Slides
- Sémantique et interopérabilité. Journée d'étude BnF / AFNOR CG46 Référentiels, données d'autorité, thésaurus, ontologies, taxonomies... Pour en savoir plus ! Bibliothèque Nationale de France, Paris, March 28, 2008. Slides
- Accessing Cultural Heritage using Semantic Web Techniques. Lecture for the Book and Digital Media Master (Leiden University). The Hague, the Netherlands, March 20, 2008. Slides
- Controlled vocabularies in TELPlus. Workshop on Extending the multilingual capacity of The European Library in the EDL project. Swedish National Library, Stockholm, Nov 22-23, 2007. Slides
- Standards for the Representation of Knowledge on the Semantic Web. MPI eScience Seminare, Offene Archivierbare Formate. Max Plank Digital Library, Berlin, Oct 25, 2007. Slides
- Web sémantique et intéropérabilité des vocabulaires conceptuels (rapport sur la collaboration STITCH/BnF). Journée de la Bibliothèque Nationale de France (BnF) sur les moteurs de recherche sémantiques et le web sémantique. Bussy-Saint-Georges, Oct 2, 2007. Slides
- Publishing Vocabularies on the Web (with Guus Schreiber). NETTAB 2007 workshop on A Semantic Web for Bioinformatics: Goals, Tools, Systems, Applications. Pisa, Italy, June 14, 2007. Slides
- Aligning Thesauri for an integrated Access to Cultural Heritage Collections. Information Access for the Global Community: an International Seminar on the Universal Decimal Classification. The Hague, the Netherlands, June 5, 2007. Paper, Slides
- Accessing Cultural Heritage Collections using Semantic Web Techniques. SIKS-ICS (Dutch Research School for Information and Knowledge systems) Seminar on the Semantic Web. Utrecht, the Netherlands. Slides
- Semantic Interoperability to Access Cultural Heritage (Presentation of the STITCH project). Amsterdam Cultural Heritage Exchange (ACHE). Amsterdam, the Netherlands, March 30, 2006. Slides
- Demonstration of the OPALES project. CWI seminar, Amsterdam, February 22, 2006. Slides
Committees and reviewing
Program committee member
- Mark van Assem, Antoine Isaac. SKOS Tutorial. CATCH day, The Hague, the Netherlands, November 25, 2005. Slides
- Marjolein van Gendt, Antoine Isaac, Lourens van der Meij. Semantic Interoperability to Access Cultural Heritage. Poster presentation at Scientific ICT Research Event Netherlands (SIREN). Eindhoven, The Netherlands, October 6, 2005. Poster
- Accessing Cultural Heritage Collections using Semantic Web Techniques. Digital Erfgoed (Cultural Heritage) conference. Arnhem, the Netherlands, November 10, 2005. Slides
Reviews for journals
- Dublin Core Conference (DC), 2011 (PC co-chair), 2012-2014.
- European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC), 2009, 2011, 2012 (Digital Libraries & Cultural Heritage track co-chair), 2013, 2014.
- Journées Francophones d'Ingénierie des Connaissances (IC), 2008-2014.
- IFLA 2014 Satellite Meeting Linked Data in Libraries
- International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), 2009, 2012, 2013.
- Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum (CLEF), 2013.
- International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL), 2010, 2011, 2013.
- Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), 2012, 2013.
- DocEng 2013 workshop on Collaborative Annotations in Shared Environments: metadata, vocabularies and techniques in the Digital Humanities (DH-CASE), 2013.
- WWW 2012 (Demo track co-chair).
- Workshop on Mining Scientific Publications (WOSP 2012), JCDL, 2012
- Ontologies et Jeux de Données pour évaluer le web sémantique (OJD), IC, 2012
- Metadata and Semantics Research Conference (MTSR), 2011-2013
- International UDC Seminar (Classification & Ontology), 2011, 2013.
- Workshop on Linked Science (LISC), ISWC, 2011
- Workshop on Semantic Web Technologies for Libraries and Readers (STLR), JCDL, 2011
- International Conference on Web Engineering, Doctoral Consortium (ICWE), 2011
- European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), 2010.
- Workshop on Semantic Web And Reasoning for Cultural Heritage and Digital Libraries (SWARCH-DL), IEEE-ICSC 2010, 2011.
- Workshop on the Multilingual Semantic Web (MSW), 2010, 2011.
- Workshop on Workshop on Ontology Repositories and Editors (ORES), ESWC 2010.
- Ontology Matching Workshop (OM), 2008-2013.
- International Conference on Semantics And digital Media Technology (SAMT), 2006-2010.
- European Networked Knowledge Organization Systems Workshop (NKOS), 2009-2013.
- Workshop on Advanced Technologies for Digital Libraries (AT4DL 2009), ICSD 2009.
- International Conference on MultiMedia Modeling (MMM), 2009.
- Workshop on Data Integration Through Semantic Technology (DIST 2008), ASWC 2008.
- Workshop on Semantic Interoperability in the European Digital Library (SIEDL), ESWC 2008.
- Cultural Heritage on the Semantic Web Workshop at ISWC 2007.
- Workshop on Multimedia Annotation and Retrieval enabled by Shared Ontologies (MAReSO), SAMT 2007.
- International Workshop on Semantic Web Annotations for Multimedia (SWAMM), 2006.
- Systèmes d'Informations Audio-Visuels (French workshop on audiovisual information systems) (SIAV), 2006.
- Semantic Web Journal
- Journal on Data Semantics
- Intl Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems
- IEEE Intelligent Systems (special issue on AI and Cultural Heritage).
- Intl Journal of Human-Computer Studies.
- Intl Journal on Digital Libraries.
- Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST).
- Multimedia Tools and Applications Journal/Journal on Web Semantics double special issue on Semantic Multimedia.
- Journal of Universal Computer Science, special issue on Ontologies and their Applications.
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, special issue on Semantic Image and Video Indexing in Broad Domains.
- Knowledge and Information Systems.