Topological methods for non-linear differential equations
Syllabus, Fall 2014:
No class on Friday November 7th!
Regular class and lecture rooms:
Book: Course notes.
Extra notes on Homology.
Exams: The take home exam will be online starting Jan 9th and is due Jan 23rd.
- Week 37-51: Friday 14:00 - 16:45, room M-632.
- The oral exams will be on Jan 27th and 30th. Schedule pending.
- Course material for the take home exam is the material covered in class, see list below.
- Course material for the oral exam is (according the original course notes Nov 2014):
- Ch. 1: 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.7, 1.9
- Ch. 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6
- Ch. 4: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4
For material see the preliminary
course notes and updated course notes.
The course notes will be expanded after every lecture. The table of content is a rough outline of the subjects that we will covered in this course.
- Week 37-38: Finite dimensional degree theory;
- Week 39-40: Leray-Schauder degree;
- Week 41-43: Strongly Indefinite Systems;
- Week 44: Introduction to Dynamical Systems;
- Week 45-47: Conley Index Theory;
- Week 48-49: Applications of Morse Theory;
- Week 50-51: Parabolic Recurrence Relations and Braids.
to Robert Vandervorst's Home Page.