I am an assistant professor at the department of mathematics at the Vrije Universiteit (VU) in Amsterdam. Before coming here I was a postdoc at TU Munich working with Ulrich Bauer. I defended my PhD at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in December 2015 under the supervision of Nils A. Baas.
I work within the field of topological data analysis: a relatively recent branch of mathematics in which topological signatures are assigned to data. Enjoying being at both the pure and applied side of mathematics, my research includes pure elements such as representation theory of quivers, as well as more computational aspects, and applications towards the sciences.
Recent and Upcoming Events
Teaching (Spring 2020)
- Together with Ulrich Bauer and Michael Lesnick I am organizing a workshop at the Lorentz Center in Leiden: Metrics in Multiparameter Persistence. (postponed until 2021).
- Topological Data Analysis is included in the course catalogue for Mastermath 2021-2022 (spring)!
- Pepijn Roos Hoefgeest (PhD, VU)
- Francesco Cenzato (Master, Leiden)
- Donny Peeters (Master, UvA)
Bachelor and master students at the VU interested in topological data analaysis can contact me for potential projects.
- (With V. Lebovici and S. Oudot) Local characterizations for decomposability of 2-parameter persistence modules. arXiv (submitted).
- (With U. Bauer and B. Fluhr) Universality of the Bottleneck Distance for Extended Persistence Diagrams. arXiv
- (With J. Curry and E. Munch) A Relative Theory of Interleavings. arXiv (submitted).
- (With V. Lebovici and S. Oudot) On rectangle-decomposable 2-parameter persistence modules, arXiv, accepted to The 36th International Symposium on Computational Geometry (full version submitted to journal).
- (With H. B. Bjerkevik and M. Kerber) Computing the interleaving distance is NP-hard.
Found Comput Math 20, 1237--1271 (2020). (doi)
- (With W. Crawley-Boevey) Decomposition of persistence modules.
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 148 (2020). 581-4596. (doi)
- (With U. Bauer, S. Oppermann and J. Steen) Cotorsion torsion triples and the representation theory of filtered hierarchical clustering.
Advances in Mathematics 369 (2020). (doi)
- (With M. Lesnick) Algebraic stability of zigzag persistence modules.
Algebraic & Geometric Topology 18 (2018) 3133-3204. (doi)
- (With H. B. Bjerkevik) Computational Complexity of the Interleaving Distance.
34th International Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG 2018), Vol. 99. (doi)
- (With G. Spreemann, B. Dunn and N. A. Baas) Using persistent homology to reveal hidden covariates in systems governed by the kinetic Ising model.
Physical Review E, 2018, 97.3: 032313. (doi)
- Interval decomposition of infinite zigzag persistence modules.
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 145 (2017), 3571-3577. (doi)
- (With G. Spreemann) Approximating persistent homology in Euclidean space through collapses.
G. AAECC (2015) 26:73. (doi)
- (R. Zhang, V. Sachnev, H. J. Kim and J. Heo) An Efficient Embedder for BCH Coding for Steganography.
IEEE Transactions on Information Theory ( Volume: 58 , Issue: 12 , Dec. 2012 ). (doi)
- 33rd Summer Cenference on Topology and its Applications, Johannesburg, July 1-4 2019
- Fall 2020: Master Seminar in Analysis and Dynamical Systems
- Fall 2020: Linear Algebra
- Summer 2020: Modelling of Dynamical Systems
- Spring 2020: Topological Data Analysis (Mastermath)
- Spring 2020: Master Seminar in Analysis and Dynamical Systems.
- Fall 2019: Numerical Methods.
- Summer 2019: Modelling of Dynamical Systems
- Spring 2019: Numerical Methods.
- Spring 2019: Master Seminar in Analysis and Dynamical Systems.
- Fall 2018: Calculus 1 at the Amsterdam University College (AUC).